Pages

Friday 10 August 2012

You're Only Young Once...

Settling down. It's something that one day the majority of us all hope for. A lovely marriage, children, your own home - it's an ideal that most people aspire to. Although I can't help but feel everyone just wants to get to this stage at such an early point in life, and I can't help but question why this is.

Now don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind being in a relationship at my age (20 for those of you who don't know), but I don't want to tie myself into anything serious or make any decisions that are going to make a long term effect upon my life. I fit into the above category perfectly. One day I want to be married. One day I want to have children. And one day I want to own my own house. But that one day is in the very distant future, and I like that thought.

It's such a cute and romanticised situation if you end up getting married to your school love or your first love. At a young age that's what everyone wants to do, and we all know there is no one quite like your first love. The first time you're ever in love, man do you fall hard. There's no other feeling quite like it. And the break up seems like the end of the world. It isn't. By far. But it's all learning, and growing as a person. I'm going slightly off topic here so il try and swerve back onto the path of my original point.

Settling down at a young age. My parents did it, my godparents did it, several of my Mum's friends did it - none of whom are together now. Now that's not me saying that everyone who gets married or in a serious relationship young will not work out. A friend of mine has recently got married at a young age, and I've every faith that themselves and their family will be incredible together. But I can't help but think, some people get caught up in the excitement of being young and in love, and they don't fully comprehend the decision that they have made.

I'm 20 years old. I'm going to make mistakes. I'm going to get my heart broken, and I'm going to make a fool out myself, but it's all part of growing up right. Have fun, laugh lots, be an idiot, do things that surprise you, and don't concern yourself with the future. It's the here and now and you've got to enjoy it. You're only young once, and you only get one chance so make the bloody most of it.

So for now I'm going to just enjoy having little responsibilities, go out, have fun, and spend all my money on clothes and shoes that I do not need and will never help me get anywhere in life, but look pretty. I'm sure it will result in a few lectures from Mummy dearest, but hey ho I'm 20. I've got plenty of time to be serious. Plenty.

No comments:

Post a Comment