Pages

Saturday 23 February 2013

Safe Haven: Prepare to be Emotional...

Love hurts. There is nothing as painful as heartbreak. But in order to learn to love again, you must learn to trust again.

When a mysterious young woman named Katie appears in the small town of Southport, her sudden arrival rasies questions about her past. Beautiful yet unassuming, Katie is determined to avoid forming personal ties until a series of events draws her into two reluctant relationships.

Despite her reservations, Katie slowly begins to lower her guard, putting down roots in the close-knit community. But even as Katie starts to fall in love, she struggles with the dark secret that still haunts her...



When I was browsing the book shelf in Tesco the other day, this book instantly caught my eye. I'd seen the advert for the film, and knew that it would be right up my street. I love all those soppy love books and films, and with Nicholas Sparks being the author of Dear John, The Notebook, and The Lucky One, I was pretty sure I would enjoy this just as much. 

The blurb above gives little to give away the story, it sets the scene, but it definitely didn't prepare me for what was in store with this book; and I'm glad as I was hooked on every single page. I devoured the book within 24 hours - staying up until 2am and waking at 9am to finish it. I just loved it. It involved love, heartbreak, horror, a real page turner and evoked just about every emotion possible. The last chapter had me absolutely bawling my eyes out, and I was left wanting to know more.

The first few chapters are slow building, and help to set the scene of Southport and build up an image in your mind of the characters and their traits and personalities. As the story develops it starts to get darker, and more shocking. A lot of it I could relate to and I feel maybe that's why I was so engroced with it, it really is an inspiring story, rather than just the typical lovey dovey boy meets girl and falls in love drivel that a lot of romance novels currently fall into. 

The story is told in different perspectives which really requires you to be on the ball and gives you a deeper insight into the characters emotions and the inner turmoil they are facing: even though it is completely contradicting of one another. It really enveloped the idea of how strangely people's minds can work and the demons that can engulf them.

In all I 100% recommend this read. If you like romance books with a bit more depth then this is it. Easy to read, a real page turner; like me, you just want be able to put it down. The only thing I fear now is that the film is never going to live up to my expectations. But then again it is in the realms of The Notebook, and Dear John, so I'm sure a few tears will be shed no matter what the outcome. Typical girl aye. 



No comments:

Post a Comment