Pages

Sunday 23 June 2013

The 21st Century Dating Scene...

After having a right old girls gossip with some of my colleagues at work today, I've come to ask the question - whatever happened to good old fashioned dating!? Now I'm well aware that I sound like I'm fast approaching the time to collect my free bus pass with a statement like that, but seriously, when did dating ever stop and casual sex become a norm!?

Now I for one have been out of the dating scene for a while. I actually have made a huge understatement there, I actually don't think I have ever been on a date. I mean I've been on date nights with boyfriends, but I've never been on a date pre relationship. This just does not seem to be the case in my generation. You go out, you get drunk, and you meet someone that way. It just seems to be the way it is at the moment and I don't like that. I don't like the idea of meeting someone under circumstances when you can't remember your own name, let alone judge whether you actually have any interest in this person. 

     
   

I have said it many times and I'm sure I will continue to do it well into the future, but I am a complete hopeless romantic and I'm just so not down with the bang em and leave them approach. Don't get me wrong I don't want to settle down and marry right now, but I don't like the feeling of being a pawn in someone's game. In an environment where social media plays a huge impact, its not surprising that dating has taken a backseat. Online dating is such a huge phenomenon, facebook, twitter, Instagram. Everything. It's not my scene at all. I'm not an online dater, but I can see why people do it. You see what each other looks like (most of the time), you get to chat and get to know each other without all the awkwardness of a first date, and it can all be done from the comfort of your own sofa. I get it, I understand it, I just don't like it.

I'm sure there are a fair few men out there who ask women out on a traditional date, a drink or a dinner, and its all hunky dory. If you are one of those men reading this right now, then well done you, give yourself a pat on the back, your woman is very lucky! Surely this has got to be a better way than meeting on a night out and having a one night stand. What good relationship comes from a basis of sex. Of course sex is a big role in any relationship, but one that is solely based on it is destined to fail. Maybe I'm just too old fashioned when it comes to love, and I just need to bring myself up to the 21st century. But we shall see, my dating days are no where near over (at least I hope not), so il keep you informed. Happy dating! 

No comments:

Post a Comment