Pages

Wednesday 22 June 2011

The 'OCD' Dream Team...

So after being out on the shoot yesterday, even though I had an absolutely amazing time I was looking forward to seeing the girls again today - and I must say we were like the dream team!

Our office looked like a bomb had hit it. And that's putting it politely! But after several hours of bagging up and docketing returns you can actually now see the floor. It may not sound massively exciting, but to us it really was! A little OCD me thinks.

It's strange going from a busy, ram packed day shooting, to the next day spending the majority of the day at a desk. Theres so much going on at a publication that no two days are ever the same, and I think thats something that I really like about working in the media, it's always changing and there's always something new to do.

I couldn't think of anything I'd want to do less than be sat at a desk 9-5 everyday doing the same old job day after day. I need something diverse, something where I get challenged and pushed to do something I wouldn't normally do. That's what great about 'Look', that you just get thrown straight in the deep end and given so many great opportunities that you probably couldn't get at a monthly publication.

A definite high point of the day today was seeing the final chosen photographs from yesterdays shoot - they looked great! The colours were amazing, the town house was definitely the perfect location for what the team were trying to achieve and the clothes look stunning.

We were very lucky that the women we photographed were really flexible with us and pretty much gave us a blank canvas to do what we wanted, and hopefully they'll be really pleased with the outcome. After seeing the prints, I'm really looking forward to seeing how they choose to put it all together in the magazine.

I must admit, as silly as it sounds I've really liked speaking to the clients and PR companies regarding clothes samples and prices. Everyone is really pleasant and friendly and I've really enjoyed meeting and speaking to lots of new people. Seeing all the clothes samples that are going to be hitting the stores really is a perk to the job - as well as finding out as soon as the sales have hit online! If I'm going to spend money I might as well save myself a little and do it in the sales, it'd be rude not to really!

I also found out today that the internships on the feature department at 'Look' only run for one week which is ideal for me as I live far out, and it is rather expensive commuting into and around London. I really want to get a chance to experience all parts of working within fashion and media and then I'll have a great background to base a decision on what I want to do after university.

I already mentioned in my post yesterday that what I've been doing and learning during my short time at 'Look' has made me question what I want to do when I'm finished studying. Working in the fashion department is great, I'm loving styling and picking out clothes and seeing what and why a certain piece of clothing suits a person, which I never really thought about persuing before. But then I've always loved writing my own stuff so fashion features would be brilliant, and then I've done well in PR and Visual Merchandising at uni, so maybe I should try my hand at that.

Theres so many different areas to go into that I haven't even thought about. The only thing I am certain I do not want to do is design. My drawings resemble that of a 9 year old childs, not quite what is looked for in an up and coming fashion designer so I think I'll leave that to the pros, but there certainly is a lot for me to think about.

For the moment I'm just going to enjoy this amazing opportunity that has been given to me. Hopefully going out on more shoots, researching for the magazine, having a laugh with the girls and trying not to spend every penny of my bank balance in Topshop and Miss Selfridge!

And on that note I best go iron my clothes for tomorrow - which reminds me of how much I wish I had a steamer instead, maybe that should be on the top of my shopping list rather than yet another maxi skirt! Hmmm. Anyway, tune in tomorrow for another update on how much I'm loving life right now :) xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment