Pages

Wednesday 3 April 2013

Mistakes: A Lesson Learnt...

So as it's my only day off work this week, I've spent it how every day off should be spent - snuggled up under my duvet, drinking copious amounts of tea, stuffing my face with chocolate and watching back to back episodes of 90210. Perfect I'm sure you'll agree.

In one of the episodes where Max and Naomi end up running off together after she breaks up his marriage to Madison (sorry if this is a spoiler for those of you who haven't seen it) Max says how him and his best friend like to use this saying by Albert Einstein:

"A person who never made a mistake, has never tried anything new"

...and it got me thinking about the mistakes I've made - whether they are big regrets in my life or whether they are things that I am actually glad I've done. I think hindsight is a beautiful thing and there are all certainly things we look back on and cringe and wish we never did them. But at the time they meant something, at the time it was exactly what we wanted to do, and surely it is better to look back on a certain situation with a little embarrassment, than to spend the rest of your life wondering what if?



In terms of getting into relationships and falling in love I definitely don't see any of my past as a mistake. At the time I wanted to be with that person and I can say without a doubt that I have learnt a lot from the experiences I have gone through. Some of them I never ever want to have to experience again but one in particular definitely made me appreciate everything I do have in my life and made me grow a lot as a person, and I think that is the good thing about life experiences - you learn what you want and what you don't.

Fate is a powerful thing. Some people believe that we create our own fate, others believe that there is some form of higher being that has this master plan for our lives, others just bumble along and see what happens. I feel as though I am a slight combination of the three. I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason - my Mother taught me this saying at a difficult time in our families life, and it has got me through many points since that day. 

Now to some of you reading this, it may seem completely incomprehensible that a simple sentence can carry so much meaning but it just does and it's one of those things that is embedded into your mind. If I go through something shit, or anyone does for that matter, surely the belief that it happened to you for a reason, to teach you something or give you a sense of realisation  is better than just sitting there thinking it over and over, upsetting yourself and blaming everyone and anyone. I certainly think so anyway. 

It does not do to dwell on mistakes. They've happened, it's the past, it's done. Everyone has made mistakes, and everyone will make many more mistakes throughout their life - that is life. The thing to do is learn from those mistakes, take it on board, and move on. The fact of the matter is many of us will make the same mistakes over, in love particularly. The heart is a funny thing - it wants what it wants and sometimes the head is totally overlooked as far as thought processes are concerned. Just remember, at one point it was exactly what you wanted. 

1 comment:

  1. You made it onto my bloglove post this week! xx
    http://alices-wonderland93.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete